*Sigh*
Well.... the Child Support Agency Change of Assessment decision was handed down last week. It was decided slightly in my favour. That is, the amount of Child Support was increased. But by such a minimal amount that I feel wronged by the process anyway.
Then the system kicked in.
The amount doesn't matter. They still "can't" force him to pay it. The debt will grow, BUT.... it can be removed by a judge.
And, according to the opinion of my Child Support Agency rep, it is likely to happen, with a debt of this size.
See.... apparently in this country the onus is on the payee parent to ensure that her children survive (obviously thriving doesn't matter) without the paying parent's support. And if she/he does, the judge says "You survived without receiving the child support and therefore you don't need it now" and removes the debt. Never mind quality of life. Never mind the severely reduced circumstances and opportunities of the mother and the increased wealth of the father.
And therefore the paying parent gets away scot-free.
And because DH's debt, through the Child Support Agency, is over $100,000 (which is not a huge amount over 10 years), and because my children and I aren't living on the streets, I've obviously managed without it.
It's insane.
Kafka couldn't have made this up.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




9 comments:
WTF??? I'm gob-smacked that they can just wipe it, and even more gob-smacked that they can't enforce him to pay child support!
that IS insane, what happened to garnishing wages and all that other stuff??? I just don't get the system at all....
Thanks Lani... it's just unbelievably unjust. It's because of all the changes to the law in order to "be fairer to the fathers". Yeah right.
Thanks Dee.... my ex is self-employed and basically doesn't pay tax. If he was employed they would garnish his wages. He's a plumber and lives a lavish lifestyle. It's totally wrong. If his income was fairly assessed he'd be paying me about $1200 a month. He was assessed to pay me $40 a month.
Aaarrrgh! I don't know what to say. It is beyond comprehension to me. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. :(
This makes me so angry. I just read it out loud and my husband is outraged and said, "He's clearing him for basically being a dirt bag??!!"
It's ridiculous.
See, now that's the kind of thing that just makes me want to punch someone (I'm really not a violent person. Really...I'm not...but I think that's three or four times now I've commented to you about hurting someone, so you probably think I am. I think your stories about DH just bring out that side of me.....).
DH is a dick, plain and simple. But the system that allows him to be a dick and get away with it...well, that's just plain wrong. And disgraceful. And broken. And...well, a whole lot of other words I'm too tired to think of right now. I'm so sorry, Fe. I wish I could help.
Insane.
What are you supposed to do? Starve your children so that they can force him to pay? WTF?
That's so infair.
And how awful to have to hand the boys over to that inconsiderate bastard. I'm sure it makes you angry, because it makes ME angry!
I'm with Jeff on this. Despite being a pacifist, DH is one of two people I've met who I think would greatly benefit from the vigorous application of a heavy metal bar to the kneecaps.
The other is an equally kind and caring father...
Post a Comment