Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Other Woman....

I've been thinking about the fact that DH is using my depression to imply that I was responsible for the breakdown of our marriage (which is ridiculous considering Australia has no-fault divorce) and about how he has written the following in his Affidavit:

"I do not know and cannot admit why Fe suffered depression. To the best of my knowledge and belief Fe suffered depression associated with a condition known as hypothyroidism from 1995. I observed a progressive decline in Fe's ability to cope with her daily duties around the house leading up to the birth of Toto. After the birth of Toto Fe's symptoms did not improve. I observed that Fe's mood swings worsened. She would be normal one minute then outraged and aggressive the next. Fe was diagnosed with post partum depression in July 1997. I recall during the first few months of 1998 when I arrived home Fe would seek me out in the house and start a conversation. Frequently these conversations would develop into an argument and she would become aggressive and violent. On several occasions Fe physically attacked me. I now understand that Fe has continued with the regular care of a psychiatrist and has continued to take anti-depressant medication notwithstanding that we have been separation for over ten years."

This is not the worst paragraph in that particular Affidavit, but it's the one which has made me think about the circumstances of the end of a marriage.

I have to state here, quite categorically, that I have never attacked DH. Oh how I regret that now. I pushed him in the chest with open palms once in absolute fury, but "attacked" him? No.

I also want to state that in the early weeks after Toto was born, DH used to come into the house after a hard day of not working, sit on the sofa .. find me still in my dressing gown trying to settle my very unsettled baby and say "What's for dinner?". When I told him that I had not been to the shops and had not thought about dinner, he would roll his eyes and say "Well, what have you been doing all day?".

So, yes. We had arguments.

The main ones though... the ones that occurred in the early months of 1998... were about his affair.

A bit of background..... I was running a "Healing Centre" in the front part of our large house. 5 different Practitioners and I shared the practice rooms. It was a full time job simply managing the Centre and the Practitioners, and I had my own Counselling Practice as well. I was working up to the day I went into labour with Toto. My Mum and my sister-in-law helped me enormously with the Centre in the few weeks after Toto's birth, but I was soon back to full-time practice whilst rushing out the back between clients to either breast-feed Toto, or express milk. My Mum was caring for him on the days that I worked.

DH was studying Naturopathy at that time, as well as supposedly doing some plumbing work. He also saw some clients as a Masseur.

Isabel (oh yes I'm using her real name here) was an air stewardess who came to DH for massages. She became a friend of DH's, and would be invited out the back to see Toto and to chat with me.

Her schedule changed, and she asked DH to go to her house to massage her on Thursday evenings. We needed the money, and I trusted DH implicitly, so had no problem with this. He began to come home later and later... usually stoned. This, of course, WAS a problem with me.

I tried to discuss it with DH, but it was a "no go" area for him. His response to my questions was to call me paranoid, become incredibly insulted, drive away from the house, turn off his mobile phone, and not return for 2 or 3 days.

The massages continued.

When we found out that I was pregnant again, I asked him to stop massaging Isabel. He also had rugby training two nights a week and played poker with his "mates" on Wednesday. I needed more support with Toto during the evening. I was still working and was totally and utterly exhausted. (And, no, he did not behave like this during our courtship - or I obviously would not have married him. He didn't behave like this in the five years of marriage preceding children either - or I would not have had children with him.)

He wouldn't stop anything. He was defensive and turned everything into MY problem.

He left on January 11, 1998 (edited to correct the year... sorry) (details of which have been posted here).

We attempted a reconciliation in late February. He was invited to move back into the house while Toto and I were away for the weekend with my Mum. When my Mum and I returned home, DH wasn't there, but there was a very loving and intimate message on the answering machine from Isabel. There was no doubt that he was involved sexually with her.

He came home. Denied it. Became outraged. Disappeared for 3 days. Usual behaviour. Kept denying it.

There were no more attempted reconciliations.

A couple of years later, in a friendly patch, I asked him how long his relationship with Isabel had lasted. He told me that it had begun when he first went to her house on Thursday evenings but had not survived the phone message that she had left on my answering machine. I was shocked. I told him that he had never admitted it to me before. He responded with "Oh .. you always knew!". I asked him why he had denied it so strenuously and he said "I knew how upset you would have been about it. I was trying to protect you."

Seriously.

Christ.

Now, go back and re-read that paragraph from his affidavit.

13 comments:

Ali said...

His behaviour makes me so very angry, Fe. I think that, based on his behvaiour during your marriage, it is easy to see how he must be explaining away his current awful behaviour. The type of person he is will never accept responsibility, will never turn their gaze inward adequately. He loves to feel that he is the victim, a loving father who is being punished by the evil, crazy ex-wife. My ex-husband also feels this way. Going as far as telling Beefcake things I have said in the hope that he will shock him into seeing how insane I am, he really thought that Beefcake might be on his side! Needless to say, Beefcake was not shocked and made this clear.You can't apply normal standards of conduct to this type of narcissist.
x

Anonymous said...

The man, and his lawyer are seriously delusional. The lines that stand out to me:
"I observed a progressive decline in Fe's ability to cope with her daily duties around the house leading up to the birth of Toto." - Seriously??? Firstly, "daily duties around the house" (bastard). Secondly, of course your ability to wash, clean and feed him might be impaired by the fact that you were 9 months pregnant! Not to mention that you were undoubtedly reacting to his philandering ways.

The other line - "when I arrived home Fe would seek me out in the house and start a conversation". Hello? What normal, committed partner does not want to have a conversation with their spouse when they come home from work? Is he seriously saying this was a fault??
I think beneath your (and our) emotional and outraged reaction to these sorts of things in his affidavit, there are some very real, well-reasoned and calm ways you can refute these allegations. Either that or have them stricken or disregarded because we have no-fault divorce. He can't have it both ways - either
1. he brings up all the shit that lead to the marriage breakdown (sounds like in a nutshell he would defend himself by saying that my pregnant hormonal wife caused me to have an affair (utter bastard)) in which case you highlight the mountain of crap he laid on you
or
2. neither of you talk about why the marriage broke up because its no-fault and not necessarily relevant to the custody proceedings.
I know you're probably thinking it has everything to do with the custody because it shows his character (trust me I KNOW what you mean - I still don't get how you can treat someone this way and still consider yourself fit to be a father) but it might be in your interests to ask your new (yay!) lawyer to try and exclude all this he said/she said about the marriage breakup? It might have a benefit for you in excluding the pyschiatrist stuff. Just a thought. It sucks that it might be a trade off, but still maybe it's a good strategy????
Sorry if I was a bit ranty. Hope something in there might be of some help. :) xoxo

Anonymous said...

Poor man. Imagine, creating a life (two lives) and then being expected to contribute to them. Surely a woman who is pregnant and looking after a toddler has time to cook gourmet meals, keep a spotless house, and then gussie herself up like a space waitress to simper on his every fart.

These feminists have gone too far.

Now, back to reality. He is a lucky, lucky man. If he had done any of this to a lesser woman (ie. me), one of us would be dead, and the other one would be in jail.

tiff said...

If I could get my hands on him, I would massage him into the ground.

I am so cross for you and sad for you that you are having to relive all this stuff because of him and all I need is his address, Fe and a club.

He makes me want to be violent.

MissyBoo said...

What an absolute wanker! I want to go with Tiff and throttle him.
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Okay...You know how I said before that there are no words for what I think of this man? Well, I found some. Quite a few, actually. Now, I don't normally use words like this, so please pardon any offense for what I'm about to say. And please cover the eyes and ears of the little ones before reading on.

I've taken the liberty of rewriting the paragraph you quoted from his affidavit, omitting the obvious lies and rewording a few other parts to bring them a little closer to the truth:


"Fe suffered depression because I was a fucking prick during our marriage and I treated her like shit. The more I treated her like shit, the more depressed and outraged she became, and I was too fucking stupid to figure out why. When she was pregnant with our first child, I was such an insensitive-piece-of-shit-bastard that I actually expected her to wait on me hand and foot, and I was too fucking blind to see that I shouldn't expect dinner to be on the table when I got home from work when she was home all day with a screaming infant. And when she was pregnant with our second child, I had an affair. I tried to blame the affair on Fe and her depression, because I'm a stupid-fucking-arrogant-sonofabitch-cheating-bastard, but I realize now that it was really my fault that I couldn't keep my dick in my pants where it belongs. Oh, and I also went out and played poker and rugby with my friends instead of staying home like a decent, responsible husband and father and taking care of my pregnant wife and my son. So in the end, I guess her depression really was my fault after all. Heh. Go figure."

Perhaps you could give my version to his lawyer and tell her to shove his version right back up his ass where it came from.


Ahem...sorry. I feel better now. Hope you do too.

Fe said...

Thanks Ali. I'm sad that you and your kids have had to go through this crap from your ex as well. Narcissist is right. I guess it's hard to apply that word to someone whom I used to love. xx

Oh YES Guera! Those outrageously ridiculous sentences jumped out at me too!

I wish I could now "not talk" about the the reasons for the breakdown. I know it should have nothing to do with the custody, but he's lodged it with the court so I have to defend it. And he's using it to "provide evidence" of my "instability" which means that his word should hold more water with the judge than mine.

So, I can't just ignore it. But I can (with a little help from my friends) find a way to intelligently deny his allegations. It's too late to exclude the psychiatrist stuff. It's all out there already. I can't put the horse back into the stable. xx

Lara: God you've got a way with words, girl! "Simper on his every fart"!! Frighteningly close to the truth. Trouble is, when you're pregnant and stressed about your marriage, you can't always see the woods for the trees. If I made a logical case for it not being my "job" to do any "daily duties around the house" (particularly as we were living on my money), he made me out to be crazy.

Oh, and I wish I'd been a stronger woman (ie: you) because I'd probably have been out of jail by now. As it is, I'm still in the daily hell of having to deal with him. xx

Tiff: Isn't that the worst feeling? I hate that he does that to me and mine. Don't worry, internets, I will not physically harm him or cause him to be harmed (karma will get him for me) but I bloody well WISH I COULD. xx

Lani: Perhaps you and Tiff could tie him up and give him a verbal thrashing? Might shock some sense into him. xx

Jeff: THANK YOU! I won't give it to HIS lawyer, but I will definitely give it to my new one. With instructions to turn it into legal-ese!! It's just so accurate (and bloody funny!). And brilliant!

Thank you for the laugh. xx

Dina Roberts said...

I'm so sorry : (

It's really hard, isn't it?

I could relate to a lot of stuff in this post.

I don't THINK Tim cheated on me, but there was a time I thought he was. There were huge fights, lies from Tim, denials....all this stuff that made me even more suspicious.

I hate to say this but your ex kind of reminds me of Tim. Don't get me wrong. Your asshole is like a million times worse. It's just some of the same traits: lying, denial, twisting things around, manipulation, ability to get people to take his side, insensitivity during pregnancy/illness......

Maybe it's a male thing. Maybe they all have this problem and your selfish prick just has it worse than most.

Fe said...

Oh Dina... Tim does those things too?

Well, Tim charmed me, so they really ARE alike!

"lying, denial, twisting things around, manipulation, ability to get people to take his side, insensitivity during pregnancy/illness"

Seeing it written out like that seems to make it so much clearer. I just see a marass of "BASTARD" in my head (I'm obviously a little sleep-deprived right now!). Thank you.

I think the lying is the bit that is most insanely cruel. You hate yourself for not trusting them, but also know that you don't. xxx

Stacey said...

Unbelievable. Do you wonder how he sleeps at night?

Dina Roberts said...

Yeah...but Tim has a good side too. And he's pretty great lately.

I've kind of just learn to accept that he lies. I can't change that about him. I just take what he says with a grain of salt. And I try to think of the positive aspects of him.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of positive stuff with your bastard/asshole.

Maybe in the past, but definitely not now.

I do agree that the lying is the worst. Tim would lie about things I saw with my own eyes...try to deny things happened. I began to question my own sanity. For awhile, I kept a journal of everything he did...I felt I had to record the past so I could believe the past. But now I just trust myself. And understanding why he lies has helped me a lot. He doesn't do it to be malicious. He's not doing it to hurt me. Tim has a strong need to be liked and appreciated. He lies to protect himself. He lies to keep himself out of trouble.

And the biggest difference between Tim and your ex? Tim is a good father. He's not perfect. But he doesn't use Jack like your asshole uses your sons. What your ex is doing is evil and unforgivable.

You know. There is ONE great thing about your ex. And I'm speaking very selfishly here. In comparison, he makes Tim seem like a GREAT husband. I think in some ways hearing about your ex saved my own marriage.

jeanie said...

lol I loved Jeff's response - although the knowledge that "but I realize now that it was really my fault that I couldn't keep my dick in my pants" hasn't actually come to pass (hell, none of it is HIS fault, remember?) is sad.

Hooray on the new lawyer!!! A girlfriend of mine used to work for a KA female divorce lawyer in Sydney - you need someone to swing into action for you.

Wen said...

Dh is seriously delusional and has convinced his !#&^%#^*#@#$ lawyer that his version of reality is true (though how any woman could put up with what is in that affidavit, even believing it!!!), just as he charmed the folks at the school. You know he can put on the charm when he doesn't have any responsibilities. He was fine in your relationship until he had responsibilities and life wasn't all fun and games. Upside the head with a large hunk of wood is the only answer. Perhaps your lovely large male friend in disguise could arrange something?