Monday, June 16, 2008

are ye awright bawheid?






It’s so corny..... but there’s nothing like being met at the airport by a wonderful friend that you haven’t seen for years. By the time we got to Glasgow, the boys and I were absolutely shattered. F’s ears wouldn’t pop on the last flight, and I had severe nausea. We were all fantasising about never having to board another flight for as long as we live.

And there was Gillian.. and it was all worth it.

We spent yesterday afternoon walking around Gillian’s neighbourhood (Partick). We walked up Byers Road and then through Glasgow University... before walking in the rain through Kelvingrove Park and through Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. We watched kids skating and biking on a purpose-built track ...... and saw two wedding parties.

The last time I was in Glasgow, it was deep winter. It was so cold that I had arthritic pain in my hips. The sun rose about 10.30 am and set about 3.30pm. It rained often and often.  And this time everything is different.  The light is amazing..... the air is crisp and clean  and the colours of the sandstone buildings seem to leap out at me.  It's light from 5-is in the morning until after 10pm.  It's like a different city!

And this afternoon Gillian organised a street parade just for us! (umm...) The West-End Mardi-Gras passed along our street and provided MUCH entertainment.  

Tomorrow we are taking off for a road trip to the north-west of Scotland.   



4 comments:

M said...

Wow, look at all your fabulous photos! Love it, keep them coming.

BTW, some news for the boys - the senior band came THIRD in the finals last night. They played brilliantly.

Oh, and when you're finished Animal, Veg, Min you might want to pick up "In defence of food" to depress you even more about the state of food in this world. Bleh. I've decided I'll have to start growing my own wheat and milling it myself between two old rocks. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yay!

armywife said...

I love the junior Elvis! Like M said, keep the pic's coming, then we can almost delude ourselves into thinking we were there as well (I said almost). My Dad comes from a little town called Doonby in the Orkney Islands and I have always wanted to visit Scotland. One day, hopefully.

Anonymous said...

Thrilled you guys are there and past all the trials of the flights. Pics are great - you all look like you're getting right into holiday mode - just fab!. Cheers J