Gillian lives in the grooviest part of Glasgow, the West End. Her flat is absolutely perfectly located for pubs, restaurants, cafes, public transport and ambient strolling. And today I've done a fair bit of the latter. I was able to do that because Gillian has taken H and F to the Science Centre (an activity that would leave me yawning).
View Larger Map
And tonight we're having pre-dinner drinks with two of her dearest friends that I've not met .... and tomorrow a bar-b-que with her entire family. I'm in heaven. I barely have to make any decisions regarding food or itinerary or even bed-times! They boys adjusted instantly and completely to the local time, and although they're staying up a bit later than when we're at home (well..... we ARE on holiday) they're sleeping through.
Next week we're off to Edinburgh for a night before visiting my family's "seat" in Scotland. Yes, that's right! The Family Castle! Luckily for us it has a B&B and Gillian has organised for us to stay there. Pretty exciting stuff!!
It's very easy to feel instantly and thoroughly Scottish while staying here. All of our first names are Scottish and our surname is thoroughly and utterly Scottish too (and quite uncommon). When visiting the site of one of the most significant battles between the Scots (Jacobites) and the Government (English).... it was incredibly moving to see our forbearers' names listed amongst the dead.
In fact, I found it so disturbing that I took my tears to the car while Gillian and the boys explored further.
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Great photos. I spotted the gull chicks - but then I am a professional.
Well make sure you take loads of photos of the family seat. The castle that is.
Wow, what a treat to log on and see these fabulous photos. I really enjoyed watching the series 'Hamish McBeth' mostly for the pleasure of listening to the Scottish accents but also for the wonderful setting/scenery. Miss A likes to call herself 1/4 Scotlandish.
Fe, You know your photos always leave me breathless. They're just beautiful!!
It looks like you and the boys are just having the most fantastic time. Don't stop telling us all what you're up to! I can't be there, but I wanna feel like I am...
xoxo
Joan
Thank you SO much for your comments! It is wonderful to know that you're enjoying our adventure with us.
xxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment