... but I'm going to share it anyway.
Two weeks ago I had a long overdue mammogram. I had been putting it off half subconsciously and half self-destructively in my haze of depression induced feelings of self-worthlessness.
You see, I have had a weird kind of lump on my nipple, which, even though my GP has told me looked pretty harmless, has had me worried. I've also had some mysterious pains in my armpit.
Don't yell at me for putting off getting myself checked out. I'm not strong enough to take it.
I went through this for the first time nearly 8 years ago. On September 11 2001, to be precise. And I received a diagnosis of breast cancer. I was one of the lucky ones. My cancer was removed by surgery and I had "clean margins" which meant that I was able to get away without having radiotherapy and chemotherapy. It was a risk (not having further treatment) that I was willing to take at that time as my boys were 3 and 4 years old and I was living on my own with them. I simply couldn't have managed.
An hour or so ago, I telephoned for the results of my mammogram and was immediately put through to a counsellor. She told me that they want me to return for further tests as soon as possible. Tomorrow, to be precise.
This does NOT mean that I definitely have a recurrence of my breast cancer. 9 out of 10 women who are recalled for further tests after a mammogram end up with a clean bill of health.
This DOES mean, however, that I am thrown back into the feelings of fear and anxiety and sadness.
This also means that I am thinking of all my dear dear friends who, after years of NED (No Evidence of Disease) had a recurrence from which they didn't recover.
I'm scared.
And although I know that there is a large chance that I have nothing to fear, I wish that I didn't have to go through this at all. And I pray that I'm strong enough to protect my children from picking up on my sadness and fear.
As I said in the heading, this may only be 24 hours of awful, but I'm putting it out there because I need your collective strength. There's just too much going on for me right now. I feel overwhelmed. I need to feel a part of something bigger than the turmoil that is my life.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




19 comments:
FE I am praying with you , and you know that there are good people around to help you so dont let the felling overwhelmed get on top, and dont be afraid to ask for anything
we love you support and are here for you, the question is how can we support you
Tons of love
EC xooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox10000
Jesus Christ - that just blows the biggest meatiest chunks of all.
What can I do? Can I bake you something?
I have some chocolate cake with Peanut butter icing and choc peanut butter ganache I can drop over to you today. This afternoon. Tonight. Whenever you need it.
Let me know.
I know where you live. I used to live in the identical building opposite. No kidding.
Wait. That last para sounded a bit stalkerish. Oh nevermind. Who cares. If you need cake I have it and can bring it ASAP.
Thank you Ewie. I know you're there for me. That means a lot.
Thank you so much, Kim. And, no, it doesn't sound stalkerish. I'm guessing M showed you when you guys had dinner across the road that night.
I can't eat. Although if I could i would adore your cake. but I'm just holding it together and forced myself to have some saltines to stop the nausea.
The boys don't get home until 7pm, so I will only have 1.5 hours to be strong and happy for them.
The freakish thing is that Toto asked me last night if my breast cancer had returned.
I'm all disjointed and can't write properly. Hopefully I'll be jumping with joy and relief tomorrow.
Thanks again. I so appreciate your kindness.
*hugs*
Fe, I'm here thinking of you and hoping with all my heart that this isn't a recurrence, and in 24 hours we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief.
Lots of positive, strength vibes heading across the web to you xoxox
Oh crap. I was just sitting with my sister talking about my Mum's breast cancer and now I read this? My Mum too had her lump surgically removed and had clean margins so no treatment. Now she has annual mammograms but we haven't been tested to see if we are predisposed. I think tonight I will light my special vanilla candle and have a quiet moment in contemplation. I will send out all the positive thoughts I am able for you Fe and will be checking back to see how you are.
Crappitcrappitycrappitycrap. Sending you all my thoughts and support right now, that feeling of anxiety and having to wait just sucks :( Email if I can do anything at all.
Hugs
We are right there with you.
Love, peace, and vibes.
We will be thinking about you tomorrow.
Oh Fe. I am here thinking of you. Sending strength your way. I only wish that I was close enough to do something practical to help,
Hugs darling. xx
Fe, my heart stopped when I saw this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Holding you close.
Jeff
Oh shit.
I have crossed everything I can possibly cross for you. If I could cross my internal organs I would do that too. ;)
Sending you lots of (((hugs))) over the airways, and will be thinking of you and holding my breath until tomorrow.
xoxo
I've been silently reading your blog for a while (first came here via Wikke). I've never reacted as I simply never knew what to say. Now I'd just like to tell you that I'm thinking of you, Fe. I'm crossing my fingers that you belong to those 9 out of 10 women..
Sending you strength,
Kaat
Thank you everyone. You have no idea how much strength I gather from your love and support.
I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight.
I'm not very good at asking for help, but I'm really glad that I did today. Thank you all.
And thank you for de-lurking Kaat. Hopefully I'll have a more cheerful blog one day soon.
Thinking of you... and wishing you strength and courage. I will all be OK!!!
Love, Anne
Oh shit : (
That is such a horrible thing to go through--especially now.
I hope it IS just 24 hours of awful. Then we can all sigh with relief.
I'm so worried for you.
And then there is your friend who had a recurrence and is still here...
Still hoping and finger crossing that it is something completely innocuous.
I've been thinking about you and praying for you....
This is so incredibly unfair.
Thanks Dina, Anne and Wen.
I was going to write about your recurrence, Wen, but my heart was too much in my throat. I know that you are going to be okay, and even if my results aren't good I'm sure I'll be okay too.
xoxoxo
Oh Shit Fe...
Post a Comment