I started this blog thinking that I could blog-therapy a lot of stuff about my journey with breast cancer, but it hasn't turned out that way. It's not that I am consciously choosing not to, but more that I find that I have less and less attachment to my identity as a "cancer survivor".
Except on this day.
I have been thinking a LOT about my cancer lately. Much more than usual. And I have been feeling incredibly scared and sad..... the kind that takes a few minutes to realise what I'm scared and sad about. And then Boo reminded me. Without meaning to.
Yesterday he said "Tomorrow is Gillian's birthday! Oh... that means that tomorrow is the anniversay of 9/11." And I suddenly realised that that meant that tomorrow was my 7th anniversary of my breast cancer diagnosis (dx). Which explains all the recent sub-conscious focus on my cancer.
Sheesh. And it really IS sub-conscious. And it bites me on the bum every bloody year.
I have an incredibly wonderful group of women who are my bc support group. We were all diagnosed at around the same time and met on an international internet support group. Over the last 7 years I have been incredibly lucky to have been visited by 2 of them (one of them twice) and have also visited 5 of them (they are all in America and Canada). Our little group has diminished over time..... due to the tragic reality of the statistics of developing metastasis of the original cancer.... and the downside of belonging to a cancer support group is that we support each other through dying just as much as through living.
I hate this day.
The day I was dx'd, Toto's godfather (Big H) was staying with us from the UK. Obviously, my entire world was shattered. My children were 3 and 4 and I was living in a little house in a completely different part of the city from my parents. At 10pm-ish, Big H woke me up to watch the WTC buildings collapse. And I knew that my own problem was diminished hugely because of the untenable terrorist acts that occured on that day.
I have lived in NYC. I had a close girlfriend who worked in the WTC and I couldn't get hold of her on the phone. She was okay, but I later found out that two of my "christmas card friends" (friends that you catchup with once every year via a christmas message) lost their lives.
I was thrown into even more turmoil. It's hard to describe it. One part of me felt that I needed the attention because I'd just been given those incredibly impossible words "It is malignant", and another part of me felt that it was insignificant compared to global affairs. Most of me was wildly flailing somewhere in the middle.
*sigh*
I survived. The most supportive person, other than my parents, was my friend who is currently ill and in a psychiatric hospital.
And I should be leaping for joy that it's 7 years ago, because really that means that my chance of recurrance is as the same as someone who has never had breast cancer. Yes, I should be happy. But emotionally, it's not a good day for me.
I will spend most of it with my ill friend. And I will celebrate the divine Gillian's 41st birthday (oh to be in Glasgow with her to celebrate properly) but I will also mourn.
I'll be mourning the "me" who didn't have to face that incredibly horrendous day. And the arduous journey that followed.
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




13 comments:
Don't you hate when those sub-conscious things just jump out and bite you on the bum.
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate at the moment, and I hope you manage to find sometime for looking after YOU.
Look at all the things you have managed to rise above, and all the support you are giving to help others rise above, and know you are an amazing woman
Hope you find courage and strenght to go through the day!
I will send you goodvibes all day!
Anne
Thank you so much m+b and Anne. Thank you.
A shocking thing to find out on any day of the year but I can't imagine how you felt with all the 9/11 horror around you.
You know it is normal and very okay to grieve for the loss of your normality.
Hugs. I hope your days get better soon.
Dear Fe,
It is a sad and difficult day for you and many others with you. But people can make happy memories on a day with sad ones. So, today one of my sons is getting married. This will turn 9/11 into a happy day to remember.
Love, Trui
Congratulations, Trui! It's a wonderful day for you, and for your whole family.....
I think it is important to create new memories on sad days.
And every year on this day, I celebrate Gillian's birthday with joy in my heart. xx
..........tried to write something but didn't came out....let's just write that I think about you. Don't forget about yourself. YOu are beautiful. Jel x
Fi you truly are an amazing person, keep being brilliant and look after yourself, you are inspiring and admirable and a good egg to boot
Onwards and upwards
Love EC
*HUGS* fe.
Wow - it's hard to imagine how horrendous that day must have been for you. You are obviously a very strong woman and an inspiration to us all! Lots of good thoughts flowing your way....
Wow. Thank you so much for the support and kind words. I am humbled to have such a kind and supportive real/blog world group of friends.
Hello fe dear ... I am trolling back here wondering what you might do for a living - besides single parenting - given that I have just read you are being flown to Perth to Emcee - you must be one damn fine EM :)
When I find this post .... ahhh the cancer scurge .... on the phone today to a dear friend - double mas two years back and now has just had all the uterous plus accessiories taken out - blah.
She is a total troopper - an inspiration like you ... life can be odd when it hurst people in such a manner.
Have a lovely trip too - I will go up front and be more chirper now - le xoxo
Post a Comment