Monday, July 14, 2008

And even though we wanted it to last forever..... it couldn't....

I'm good at abusing superlatives, I know, but this day was every superlative I've ever used, multiplied by 100.

We did all the cliched Parisien tourist things, in our own "Fabi" way.

We began the day with croissant and cafe in a market in Belleville, near Fabi's old home. The market was bustling and noisy and fit to burst my senses! The smelly fish! The stinky cheese! The body odour!! It was magnifique!!!! We bought bagettes, chicken, cous-cous, tomatoes, avocadoes and fruit and then spent half an hour finding 3 available "public" blikes (the flaw in the plan is that often there are no bikes where you want them, and too many where you want to return them!) before riding for hours through Central Paris (sometimes in the rain).

This weekend is Bastille Day, and the city was celebrating. Balloons, firecrackers, music, conversation, laughter.....

We stopped on Pont Marie to watch this wonderfully comic street performer....



...before riding along the side of the Seine and then stopping on the tip of Ile de la Cite for our picnic lunch, under the protective gaze of Notre Dame. There were young lovers sitting near us (the perfect backdrop) and the sun shone for our picnic.

We then rode through St Germain, on to Luxembourg Gardens for glace and an explanation as to where all the people had gone!

And then we rode back through the busiest and most beautiful areas of Paris .... over bridges and through markets..... past Churches and Galleries.... to the Canal near Fabi's house for refreshments, before riding back to Belleville for a Chinese meal.
















By the time we rode home and dropped the bikes off, we had been on them for over 8 hours. And even Fabi was marvelling at the beauty of her city.

Knowing that we had an EARLY start (9am!! How shocking!) we fell into bed to the sound of firecrackers exploding underneath our window.

We DID arise in time, packed the bags in time and Fabi took us to the airport in time for our flight.

I've adored Fabi each time I've met her, but we've never spent an entire week together before. I can now say, with a full heart, that she is a lifelong special friend to all of us. Her willingness to be "taken over" by the three of us (like all of our hosts on this trip) and her wonderful approach to my boys and her relationships with them is testament to her beautiful nature. I am SO grateful for the journey of life that has given me these wonderful friends.

But goodbyes are agony. And so we said "see you later!".

Thank you Fabi.

No comments: