Saturday, July 12, 2008

The smells and sounds of Paris....

Today was another walking day.  The boys and I caught the Metro to Bastille and then browsed the tiny alleys and lanes around the Marais district.  We went to Musee Picasso and NEARLY went to The Louvre!  But we're all completely and utterly exhuasted.  We've reached a wall, beyond which lies a week in Lisbon with beaches and swimming.  Our feet are sore.  Our attention span is short.  

But today my other senses seemed to be working overtime.  Paris has a distinct smell.  Overall, it is of burnt sugar, baking bread, cigarette smoke and the River.  And its sound is a muted laughter and conversation over guitar music.  Quite distinct.  If I were blindfolded and put in a padded room and asked to distinguish a location by sound and smell, I believe I would guess Paris' in an instant.  London (to me) would be of exhaust fumes and traffic, and Sydney would be salt air and seagulls.  Hmmm... Gee I'm generalising, but you know what I mean.













2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big city, over-crowded with people and cars and so on, that big city does not just smell, it stinks!!
Nice comfortable shoes you bought!

love Trui

Anonymous said...

I love all your posts. I am just now catching up with London and Paris. Brings back many memories. I'm thinking I would no longer love London, from your description of how it is today. My memories are from long ago. I posted a synopsis of all the craziness in my life on Remainders, should you wish to check it out. I look forward to your posts from the land of my ancestors (okay they were from Madeira, but close enough).