Saturday, December 20, 2008

It's an epidemic....

The Department of Health had to be notified about our whooping cough as it's a "notifiable illness".

They had 20 cases reported in Sydney on Friday alone! It's truly an epidemic!

We discovered this morning that Boo can't swallow tablets. Apparently. It took HALF AN HOUR to get him to swallow the anti-biotic! He was desperately distressed (as was I) but he finally did it. I found out afterwards that I can break open the casing and put the inside bits into water for him to drink. Which works a treat. Thank God, as we have to take these three times a day for five days.

And then the poor little thing had a major coughing / vomiting fit while weeing. He literally painted the bathroom. Poor thing was so drenched that he had to get straight into the shower. More washing (towels, clothes) for me.... and such a waste of loo paper! He drenched the whole pile of spare rolls! I seriously had to laugh (once I knew he was okay) before mopping, wiping walls etc. I'm still kind of laughing.

See? I'm trying to find the amusing bits in amongst the agony.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor, poor little man.

Poor you!

Good on you for finding the humour, what a picture it must have been!

MissyBoo said...

Glad you are trying to find some humour.

I worked on a whooping cough project for the Dept of Health here about 4 years ago, as there is generally an epidemic every four years and they worked out the childhood vaccination is null and void by about 12 years old.

We tried to vaccinate every High School student in WA before the school holidays, and the Booster has now been added to our schedule at 12 years old.

Sorry just some useless info for you!

(((Hugs))) I'm thinking of you x

Dina Roberts said...

I'm glad you're able to find humor in the situation.

I guess you have to. Otherwise, you'd probably go insane.

M said...

Oh god. Freaky what M+B says about the vaccination losing effectiveness by 12...

Fe said...

Thanks everyone.

M, my GP says that all of those (except us) that he has dx'd have even been fully immunised. There are a couple of different strains of whooping cough, apparently.

Nobody is safe.

Badness Jones said...

I hope he's better soon! I haven't heard of anyone having whooping cough since I was a child - I wonder if it's a geographic thing?

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I coughed until I spewed last week, I suppose I'd better get to the doctor!

I'm thinking about you guys every day, and waiting for Boo to turn the corner.

Big Hugs xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you are all so sick.
Biggest hugs coming to you because I know just how awful it can be and even looking for the funny bits is a definite sign that it is horrible.

Le said...

you go mama Fe - find the funny side and keep on keeping on ... my best chrissie wishes to you - le xo