Friday, December 12, 2008

Whoop....

Toto and Boo are both sick. I took them to the doctor today and he suspects whooping cough. Toto had a nasty cough a while back, which the doctor had looked at and determined to be nothing more than a viral lurgy. It seems that Boo has caught a new bug and has passed it on to Toto. The doctor stuck an ominous looking swab down Boo’s nasal passage (a LONG way down!) to get the material required for the diagnosis. Boo was very brave.

It’s raining and grey and both boys are curled up on the sofa watching the telly. Other than our visit to the doctor, we have been inside for the last two days.

I’m actually quite enjoying it (despite the horrendous sounds of both boys coughing until they can’t breathe) as it feels as though we’re cocooned in our own little pod... with both boys requiring lots of cuddles and comfort.

If it IS whooping cough, they’ll take antibiotics to prevent them passing it on to others. The medicine does not reduce the duration of the illness. Apparently there’s a bit of a plague of it in Sydney at the moment. My doctor alone has diagnosed three cases in the last week.

So, we’ll stay away from everyone while we wait for the test results. I suppose I’ll go out for supplies every now and then, but other than that I’ll be Dr Mum with my ready supply of cough medicine and cuddles.

And I’ll try not to think too much about all of the horrendously stressful other things that I’ve got going on.

9 comments:

sarahcis said...

aah the coughing - its so hard when you cant do anything to help.

what has worked for us its a dab of Vicks vaporub in a bowl of hot water - or if you have a column heater running on low, a dab of vicks right at the top also has worked well (prob. not recommended by OH&S) . It seems to ease the cough a little.
Or minced garlic in warmed honey - it also keeps away the vampyres/mosquitos etc. And actually tastes OK on a baked potato !
Anyways just my 2 cents ... glad to see you are keeping your spirits up - I have done a blog update if you want to laugh at some really bad eighties costumes !! xx

M said...

Whooping Cough!! Oh no. Poor boys. I hope Toto is better for the Y6festivities next week...

Ali said...

Oh Fe, whooping couch is awful! I had it as a child. Poor boys. I second what people have said about steam etc, but I'm sure you already knew it.

At least you are having lots of lovely cuddle time with them! Sometimes it's so nice to just be home bodies for a while.

Hope they're feeling better soon.

x

Super Sarah said...

Poor boys, I was paranoid that Amy's dry cough over the last few weeks would turn into whooping cough as you are right, its epidemic at the moment and this wet, cold weather isn't helping. I won't even say that so far we are all bug free as its just inviting the virus in!

Fe said...

Thanks everyone. I've got the humidifier going, and lots of Vicks happening. Eucalyptus oil in the burners. All except the garlic and honey! I used to use lightly softened onion as an anti-biotic when they were babies, but they won't stand for it now!!

Let's hope it's just a bad cough... no whooping germs.... because it would be pretty tragic for the boys to miss the last day of school. Especially because I've already paid for the excursion to the movies! And, of course, it will be Toto's last day at the school for ever.

They're sleeping now. The cough medicine the doc prescribed is way better than the one we had been using. Yeah!!

And I hope that everyone else stays germ free and cough free too! xox

Anonymous said...

Awww, poor babies. Hope you enjoy your cuddle time and that they get better soon. xx

MissyBoo said...

Oh your poor boys! Enjoy all those cuddles from your babies! xxx

Dina Roberts said...

Yuck!

I hate bad coughs. I THINK I've had whooping cough.

Jack has a bad cough now.

Yikes about the thing in the nasal tube.

I hope your boys feel better soon!!!

Anonymous said...

:( I hope you're all feeling better soon.