It amazes me. The unwillingness of some people to have intelligent conversations about politics without reverting to name calling and insults.
In my humble opinion, the '08 US election is one of the most exciting in my living memory. SO much is at stake. And the excitement of having a non-patriachal-white-male in the running heralds the possibility of a significant change in the social structure of power in that country.
We all know that the media is usually on one side or another, and that it's impossible for one human being (with kids, jobs, families etc) to find out every single relevant detail about either party or candidate. So... doesn't that leave healthy discussion as a forum for learning and growth?
No. Apparently not.
Over on Dooce today, Heather posted her political opinion. This is a HUGELY read website, usually focussed on mothering, partnering and the conundrum of being an ex-morman living in Utah. The majority of the 1100+ responses that have so far been generated are positive. Almost blindly so. The minority are scathing and defensive and nasty. But there is a glaring lack of calm discussion.
So sad. A great opportunity for folk from differing locations, education levels, nationalities and socio-economic backgrounds to hear each other out. Instead, it turned into a forum of attack and attack. Very little defending and almost NO listening.
*sigh*
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
There is debate, and intelligent comment. Just not from the septics themselves.
I'm an atheist, but I'm still thinking that prayer might be the only way to go here....
You're right. I just didn't want to generalise.... knowing so many wonderful and intelligent Yanks who love a good political debate. It was a topic that I discussed in Europe too.
I do find that most American bloggers stear well clear of politics, which amazes me at this particular time. I guess they know that the passion that it incites may well lose them some of their readership.
Post a Comment