Saturday, October 25, 2008

My secret life....

I'm addicted to "The Bill". I have been for the 20 or so years that it has been on the telly. My parents are addicted to "The Bill" too, so I know it's not a cool thing. And, scarily, my boys beg to watch it whenever they get the chance.

When I'm in a sewing frenzy, I do it to taped episodes of "the Bill". It doesn't matter if I've seen the episodes before.

Can't believe I'm confessing this. Will I lose all street-cred?

The funny thing is, I don't like telly generally. I tape a lot of UK and Danish shows, but dislike all American and most Australian product (except "Four Corners" "Insight" "Enough Rope" "Australian Story" and "Dateline"). Sad, isn't it?

When I was younger, I had an eating disorder. That's long gone. Now I've got a "Bill" disorder.

Seriously.

Perhaps there's a support group out there for this kind of thing.

ED: I lied about disliking ALL American telly. I like "The Amazing Race" because it makes me feel better about the stress I feel when travelling internationaly. Oh and "House". I guess I relate to him. Even sadder.

10 comments:

Ali said...

We recently arrived home from some time living in the UK. Do you want to know the most annoying thing in the world? If there's a UK version of a show and a US version of a show, guess which one we get in Australia? Seriously, it drives me nuts. Some children's shows, are dubbed with British accents in the UK but we cop the American. I could go on. Aaargghh!

Le said...

Hello there - my brother is addicted to the BIll - he is a copper and says it is the most 'real' of all the cop shows :)

Since I have become an 'extreme blogger" (hee hee) I don't do much TV.

I sooo miss BIG LOVE - did you do that - on SBS - it is fabbo !! I have a total crush on Bill Paxton and I sooo want another wife so we can have more babies ...

If I was home daytime - soon will be - I will have to see if I can manage Bold and the Beautiful for old time sake ...

Apart from that if I have to do something like ironing (I virtualy never iron ... or make a pass the parcel - for a party - like I did this week) I save it up for Thursday nite and watch Law and Order.

Fe said...

Oh Ali, I know what you mean! And last week's "American Kath & Kim" was almost the last straw for me!

And I LOVED "Big Love", Le. Although I preferred the wives to the husband (no, I am not 'coming out'!!). I couldn't quite believe that they all put up with him the way that they did!

I loved the anthropoligical perve into the bigamist lifestyle. Hope we get more soon!

M said...

Nope, never watched The Bill. More of a Dr Who groupie. Have all last series on my IQ except the last one which didn't record. aaaaargh.

Other than that I pretty much ignore the TV. Good to knit to 'though I guess.

Fe said...

I know I said "tape", but I actually watch and record telly on my computer.... which means that I can blog and watch at the same time!

Mind you... I always forget and therefore probably only get about 2 or 3 hours a week (1 of those being "The Bill" of course!)

MissyBoo said...

Well since we're coming out of the closet... I'm a Bill fan too (and my parents)! Actually, I like a lot of British programs and I contemplate getting Foxtel just so I could watch Eastenders... I don't watch TV enough to warrant Foxtel though!

Dina Roberts said...

We pretty much get only American shows--at least on the major networks.

I think the-powers-that-be believe we'll spontaeously combust if we end up seeing something that is not American.

It's bizzare.

I totally don't understand the Kath and Kim thing. Why remake a whole TV show? Why didn't the network just buy the Australian version?

I imagine someone watching it in Australia and saying "This is good! But there's no way we can let Americans see it. Let's make an American version."

We DO get Australian and British children's television...Teletubbies, Wiggles, Yhe Upside Down Show, etc. I guess they figure children won't have the spontaneous combustion thing.

They did remake Hi5. Why? I have no idea.

I think on some of our cable channels you can see some British shows. I don't think we have any Australian ones. We did have McLeod's Daughters for awhile--but not on one of the main networks.

Le said...

Doctor Who - o, Doctor Who - a fan too - loved the last doc - what a cutie - espec when he had his real (scottish) accent happening in the 'how it was made' shows - mmm mmm - le xoxox

Super Sarah said...

My mother-in-law tapes the Bill and watches the scratchy vhs in her little junk/tv watching room, its her secret addiction to! Mine is Eastenders. I have been watching since living and working in the East End of London in 1999 and its the one show I record with our Foxtel IQ weekly and then catch up on in long, guilty bursts, like today, whilst folding laundry and catching up on housework.

(Amazing Race and Survivor type shows make me too anxious, specially now whilst pregnant I find myself hyperventilating whilst watching people argue and stress!)

Lilly said...

I am adicted to the Bill as is my mother. Love it and when I was in the UK they just didnt know what my obsession was all about! In fact I watch mainly British shows out of any others. I dont watch much television anymore. The Bill though is different (oh and I also was addicted to British soaps when in the UK too).