I only just found out that the brilliant Danish architect of the Sydney Opera House, Jorn Utzon, died yesterday. He is someone that I have admired greatly, and whose legacy to us is one that I am incredibly grateful for. The story of the design and building of the Sydney Opera House is a fascinating and controversial one. Well worth a further investigation (Dina?) if you have some time on your hands.“I have made a sculpture . . . you will never be finished with it – when you pass around it or see it against the sky . . . something new goes on all the time . . . together with the sun, the light and the clouds, it makes a living thing.”
- Jørn Utzon, 2002
To view the Jorn Utzon tribute page, click here.
Picture and words taken from the Sydney Opera House website.




3 comments:
That's so sad : (
I laughed though when you mentioned my name because I WAS thinking I should write about him.
I mean I don't really think it's sad that he died. He lived a long life. But I think it's so sad that he never returned to Sydney to see his creation.
I had hoped he would...before he died.
He did live a long life, but I was still sad. I think of him every time I see the Opera House (which is a LOT) and so I feel that he's been a part of my life.
And you're right.... it's so sad that he didn't ever see the completed building before he died.
I think that area (where the Opera house is) is just tragic in general--I feel so sad for Bennelong and his story too. I think he lived in that area.
I think I wrote this in my blog awhile back. But I think it would be awesome if there was a movie about the opera house. Go back and forth in history between the story of Jorn Utzon and Bennelong.
Post a Comment