Friday, November 28, 2008

A Dog Ate My Booby....

A million years ago (about 6 really), Toto, Boo and I were in the change room of a Sydney public swimming pool. I was struggling in that horrendous juggle of trying to change two small kids and myself into swimming cossies, and Boo escaped while my cossie was not quite pulled up. I chased after him to catch him before he fell in his attempt to climb onto a bench.

Suddenly there was a small girl screaming. She ran to her mother and, pointing to me, loudly yelled “Mummy!! That lady’s booby was bitten by a dog!”.

Toto puffed out his chest and proudly said “It wasn’t bitten by a dog. It was bitten by a cancer!”

The mother glared at me, held her child close to her and said “You shouldn’t be scaring children like that!”

Like I chose to have half of my breast removed.

Sheesh.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, there are some insensitive people around!

MissyBoo said...

Wow, what an insensitive cow!

Anonymous said...

Jeezz.. that is unbelievable.. such ... whatever the English word is.
X Eveline

M said...

Okaaaay. There are some weird mothers out there. But how cool was Toto! What a comeback. He's always going to have your back, you can be sure of that.

jeanie said...

Great response by Toto - and a learning opportunity wasted by that woman.

Fe said...

I know!! And that little girl will grow up frightened of all that is not "normal"!

It threw me at the time, especially because I was so sensitive about the surgery, but now I just laugh.

Talk about sisterhood. Not.

(and I hope that mother hasn't had to learn her lesson the karmic way. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone)

Anonymous said...

That poor kid. Imagine growing up thinking that different is scary.

Everyone knows that the freaks are the most interesting people to talk to at a party!

Anonymous said...

Go Toto! Some people are wound too tight; she probably doesn't enjoy her life very much. You probably laugh more in a day than she does in a year and that is your revenge.

Stacey said...

I cannot believe that woman's reaction (well, actually I can believe that some people would be so insensitive). Bloody hell, that's horrible.

Le said...

dearie me ..... should have said ... nah it was a polar bear - water's a bit chilly today ...

people can react a little off can't they when thinking only of themselves ....

two boobs, one boob or no boobs - we love you fe and this kind of post only serves to break the barriers down - great writing - le xox