It is a beautiful small Cathedral school in the centre of the city (read the story of Toto’s interview and acceptance here) and every time I visit I love it more and more.
The emphasis is always firmly placed upon the well-being and happiness of the boys, whilst quietly giving examples of academic, sporting and musical excellence as almost an afterthought. This approach to raising the men of tomorrow suits me well.
He will be the only boy in the entire school to come from the north side of our harbour (a big dividing line in our city) and one of just a handful of boys who won't be beginning his high-school career with friends from his primary school. The boys come from over 200 different suburbs, and because the school is literally right in the heart of Sydney, many of them travel long distances. The school has a tradition of having Year 12 boys accompany the Year 7 boys on public transport all the way home for the first week or so. They won’t be able to do this for Toto as there are no Year 12 boys going in his direction. They have offered to have a teacher accompany him, but I have decided that I will be the one to do that for his first week. Maybe for his second week as well.
Oh hell. Do you think I could do it for the first year?
I am finding this all very emotional. My baby boy is going to be in high school, and travelling into the city everyday by himself. I myself went to school in the city and I remember loving the independence that the travel allowed me. But somehow Toto just doesn’t seem as savvy as I was at his age.
Or am I just having trouble letting go?
2001





12 comments:
What a cutie! I imagine it's pretty hard getting your head around high school. I know I get a lump in my throat thinking of Guerita in Year 1 next year!
I'm sure you and he will be fine and will settle into your new routine before you know it. The school certainly sounds lovely.
xx
It's both - and from my memory a very natural thing. Hell I went to school with my mum all the way through to year 12 - what do I know!!?? I think Toto will love having you tag along for a bit but will tell you when he is ready to go it alone. So congrats on getting him (in fact both of them) this far and looking forward to reading about his year 7 adventures soon. J xox
I know it's hard. Rhubarb had stuff on at his new high school tonight coincidentally.
When we were in London last year, Rhubarb had to start high school. He went to a really large school in North London and had to get himself there in the morning (and home). I wasn't sure he was mature enough but we had little choice. The thing is, it changed him and gave him such confidence. I think it was a big factor that he felt we trusted him and felt he was capable (even if we were internally panicing!).
Sorry for the essay.
My kids will, most likely, be travelling over the harbour to high school and that's the thing that bothers me the most - transport to and from. Especially when one of the schools means getting off at a less than savoury train station...
I reckon Toto won't want you on that bus past the first day. Or maybe the first couple of days.
I'm with you - I think a year is fine ... you could always just shadow him ... or turn it into 'mum and me' time .... good luck with this one - le xox
Thanks everyone. It's a big stepping stone. I'm kind of looking forward to the travelling time together during that first week (probably in all honesty that's all I'll do).
But geez it's hard.
Ali... I'm hoping that Toto will have the same response. And that I will too!
M.... I'm guessing that Blosson will be going to my old school... in which case couldn't she do what I did? Ferry and then bus? MUCH better than that unsavoury train station. x
Oh wow high school, and here I am panicking about Big Kindy in 4 weeks!!!
The school sounds lovely, and well done on getting him there. I am sure the traveling will increase his confidence, but I can feel your emotion x
PS I have an award for you over at my blog. An easy fill for NaBloPoMo :-)
I'm sitting here doing school applications for my girls so thought I would comment. I am sure he'll do well and being able to travel with him for the first week or so will be just as good for you as it will be for him. I have no doubt that I'll be co-travelling for a while simply to make me feel better about sending them out into the big wide world.
Welcome Duyvken! Thanks for commenting! I think the process of "separating" from our kids begins when we send them to Kindy and then is accentuated when we send them to High School (if it's at a different school). Because we don't usually send them "off" to uni here, the next big step is when they move out of home.
Ahhh... the joys of parenting!
I'm looking forward to visiting your blog.
OMG he's cute!
Wow Fe, what a big step in your lives.
I've just filled out the enrolment form for our eldest's secondary school, even though he's only going into grade 3 next year.
We are lucky enough to have an excellent school at the end of the street, so travel isn't an issue.
That doesn't mean I won't worry though!
I bet you're both excited about him going to what sounds like a lovely school.
Post a Comment